Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lunch Made Easy: DIY Mini Pizzas {Build Your Own Gluten Free Pizzas}

Each time I visit my daughter at school during a lunch period or while chaperoning a field trip, I can't help but look and notice what all the other kids have packed/ are eating. Many of them pull a Lunchables from their backpack. Some even accompanied by a can of soda.

I get it - it's easy. And the labels are so deceiving... "Whole Grains", "Great Source of Calcium", "100% White Meat", etc.

It's when you actually flip the container over and read what's really in those items that it makes you shake your head. 
That was me. I use to buy those things. Especially when they were on sale. 

Super easy, right!? But oh, so, wrong for your health. 
Then trying to explain to your child why they can't have them is difficult. Granted Little Miss cannot because of the allergens & gluten, but it's still tough since she feels like she's missing out.

That's why we make our own! For years now, we've done our own homemade cracker stackers, nachos, nuggets, etc. 

Today is no exception! Little Miss was so thrilled to have her DIY Mini Pizzas packed for school, just like her friends.


You often see variations of these homemade pizza lunchables online, but being able to pack a gluten free & allergy friendly version can be tricky. 

That's why I used our Udi's gluten/nut/soy/dairy free tortillas! I took my biscuit cutter and cut out 6 circles to give Little Miss these yummy bite size pizzas that would be soft & easy to handle.

The toppings are really up to you! Pack regular or dairy-free cheese shreds and your favorite sauce in lidded containers. I also gave her little salami "pepperoni" bites I cut out to keep things cute & mini like the store bought variety. Sausage crumbles, chopped veggies, or even diced chicken would also be a yummy add. 

A great non-sandwich lunch box idea! 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...