- 1.5 cups of gluten free flour + extra for rolling dough
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum (optional)
- 1/2 teapsoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 stick of butter, cut up into 1/4" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
- 4 - 6 Tablespoons of ice cold water (gluten free flour requires more moisture, if using regular flour you'll want to cut this back - closer to 3 - 4 Tablespoons worth)
- Stir dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Using your fingers, work the butter and applesauce into the flour until it becomes a pebbly texture.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of ice cold water and combine by hand until water is absorbed.
- Add up to 2 more Tablespoons of water until a smooth dough ball can be formed (it took me 5 Tablespoonfuls total). Be careful not to over-mix the dough.
- Form dough into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- After refrigeration, break off 1/2 of dough and begin rolling out on a lightly floured surface. Make sure to lightly add flour when needed to dough, to keep from sticking to your rolling pin.
- Once it is approximately 1/4" thick, begin cutting pie pop shapes and assembling your pies into the maker for cooking.
- Add filling of choice, as mentioned above. It will take no more than 1-1.5 teaspoons per pie pop.
- As a general rule, allow them to bake for 5 minutes, then check to see if dough is browned and cooked. Continue to bake and check every 1 minute until crust achieves desired color.
Recipe was adapted from Bella Recipe Guide Book
Don't have a Pie Pop Maker? Want to try BAKING them in the oven, instead??